Bioinformatics: Bioinformatics: Command Line/R Prerequisites 2020 Online
Oct. 05, 2020, 9 a.m. - Oct. 09, 2020, 5 p.m.
Organizer - Bioinformatics Core
Contact - UC Davis Bioinformatics Core, email@example.com
This workshop will cover the basic computational and statistical concepts needed before performing bioinformatics analysis.
- Access to a multi-core (24 cpu or greater), ‘high’ memory 64Gb or greater Linux server.
- Familiarity with the ’command line’ and constructing scripts/pipelines.
- Basic knowledge of how to install software
- Basic knowledge of R (or equivalent) and statistical programming
- Basic knowledge of Statistics and model building The course will include experimental data organization, basic command line and high performance computing concepts, how to install software, use help, run applications, and the basics of building scripts and pipelines. Also covered will be basic R programming, working with data tables and generating figures, basic statistical concepts, and statistical model building. There are no prerequisites for this workshop other than an interest in bioinformatics!
Participants must have access to a computer with a strong internet connection, which should have a recent version of R, Rstudio, and an application that allows them to ssh into a server (e.g. Bash for Windows, or Terminal for Apple).
Who should attend? … Prior course participants have included faculty, post docs, grad students, staff, and industry researchers.
What are the prerequisites? … There are no prerequisites other than familiarity with general biological concepts and an enthusiasm for learning bioinformatics data analysis.
What do I need to bring? … access to a computer with a strong internet connection, which should have a recent version of R, Rstudio, and an application that allows them to ssh into a server (e.g. Bash for Windows, or Terminal for Apple). Computational exercises will be performed on a remote server. We can help with setup early on in the workshop. If your department does not allow you to install software on the computer you’ll be using, please contact us ahead of time.
Can I bring my own data? … We will provide experimental datasets for use during the workshop, as this helps to keep the workshop moving. There will be time, however, to discuss your own datasets and how you might work with them outside of the workshop.
How much does it cost? … The registration fee is $600 for current students, postdocs, staff and faculty at UC campus’ or UC National Labs (LBNL, LANL, LLNL), $900 for other academic or non-profit participants and $1,200 for other participants. We accept credit cards, as well as UC Davis recharge accounts, for payment.
Where is the workshop? … This is an online workshop.
How do I apply? … All registration is “first-come, first-served”. There is no application process. So, sign up as soon as possible to ensure your place in the workshop.
Where can I find more information, including your policies? … Go to our website (bioinformatics.ucdavis.edu/training/) and check out our FAQ and Policies.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org